HOWDY TO ALL FROM THE GREAT STATE OF ALASKA!!
As you can see from this photo (above), the trip
from Anchorage to Soldotna was BREATH-TAKING!!
These 3 could hardly contain their excitement!
This year (2009), Ploy joined us for the first time and
Bryson invited his best friend, Preston Frost.
and by the evening, the kids were "champing at the bit"
to take the Ranger for a ride in the back country!
It was cool that evening, but at 10:10pm they departed
for their ride with instructions from Irene to just go
for a short ride, since it was so late. Well, you know kids!!
Mom & Dad watched 10:30pm come and no kids, then
11:00pm showed up and still no kids. By 11:30pm I was
getting concerned because partial darkness was going to
arrive by 12:30pm. I hopped in one of the trucks and left
in search of the "Ranger Riders". I headed to a trail where
I thought they might have gone, only to find it too muddy to
continue in the truck, so I returned to the house to get my gun,
prepared to head out on foot in search of the "foursome". By the
time I had returned to the trail head, the foursome had appeared
from the woods . . . ON FOOT of course and rather frightened I believe!
They had walked out from about one mile in. "Yes, the Ranger got stuck",
they told me. We headed back to the house and decided to return the next
morning to retrieve the Ranger. When I first saw the Ranger I told the
kids, "I didn't know you were going 'MUD BOGGING'!!!!"
morning with the truck, but then, on my
way out, the truck slipped into another
deep bog and I got stuck!! We had to leave
the truck for a day until I could locate one
of those upright jacks that Dad used
on the ranch (he always had one in the old
pickup). I had to jack up both ends of the
pickup - put log trees (20 feet plus) under
the truck and then drive it out of the bog
on top of the logs!! Only took me 3 hours!!
KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!@!#*!!
has been a welcomed change to last summer. We
have actually seen the sun more in the first 7 days
this summer than we did all of last year!!
big King hit her line. I jumped up and helped her
pull her rod from the rod-holder and then she
began reeling. She hadn't reeled for more than
15 seconds when that king decided to "lean" on
her line. He took off downstream and her line
snapped!! The night before, I had put a 35 pound
leader on all the poles . . . MISTAKE!! Last summer
the biggest King we caught in June was 20 pounds,
so I thought we would be safe . . . .WRONG!!!
Live and learn; we stopped immediately and I
changed all leaders and line to 80 pound test. On
our next two adventures to the river we didn't get
any hits, but on the fourth return, Bryson got a hit.
I had forgotten to stick the rod-holders in the boat,
so when we got to the river and realized this, I told the
kids they would have to hold their poles with their hands.
I cautioned them not to let a King yank it from them, each
pole is worth over $100. We had just pulled into one of
our "hot spots" and Bryson was not even holding his pole
in his hands - he just had the pole laying on the palm of his
hand! He was next to me so I reached over and yanked on
the pole and said, "Hey, you better watch out - what if that
would have been a Big King!" He grinned, grabbed the pole
with both hands and not more than 5 seconds later, a King
hit his line! Lucky Boy!!!
the current is moving at normal speed. They are too heavy
and powerful. Boats are essential because it lets you drift
downstream as the King makes his run - trying to get away
from whatever he has in his mouth! It took Bryson about
25 minutes to wear this monster out and get her close
enough to the boat so that I could net her.
She measured 45 inches long and
weighed in at 32 pounds!
In June, there is a rule that all
Kings caught measuring 46-55 inches
must be returned to the river.
These size of Kings are the main breeders
and they want them to spawn.
Bryson was fortunate that this girl was
ONE INCH under the limit!!
Bryson was hollering for us
to "hurry up, she's HEAVY!!"
STEAKS!!!
She had a healthy amount of eggs!
Interesting fact: An average "hen" - that's
the official term for a female King - has
approximately 3,000-3,500 eggs in her.
Of those eggs, only 3 will make it to
maturity and return to spawn again.
Maybe we should have thrown
her back?.........
NO WAY!!!!!! (ha!)
You should make this photo larger - you
can see the veins of the egg-sack!
Nice photo!
We are having fun and working (a little) on the
cabins. I will have updated photos of the
cabins this next weekend. We'll try to
get you photos of more fish as well . . . oh, dang!!!
That means we'll have to go fishing again????
(hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!)
Don't worry . . . we'll save one or two for you
guys to catch NEXT YEAR!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment